Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars.
We’re hiring a Senior Frontend Engineer to be a part of our technology team to build the frontend for Openly's insurance platform. You will play a critical role in designing, building, testing, and maintaining the user experiences and the overall technology ecosystem that power our insurance products and customer experiences.
As a Senior Frontend Engineer here at Openly, you would be responsible for building and maintaining our user interfaces, consistently reducing complexity and simplifying technical design, identifying risks and opportunities, and creating solutions with the team. Your primary focus would be enhancing the web interface that agents and internal team members use to access our insurance platform. Some other things you would engage in are:
- Provide subject matter expertise, mentorship, and support to individuals
- Implement design/UX initiatives through collaboration with the Product Experience team
- Develop interfaces for internal users to administer agencies, agents, and policies
- Influence the department by helping to develop and deliver the technical and architectural vision
- Nurture relationships across the department to identify and improve internal processes
- Participate in strategic planning meetings, helping to execute on the team's 12-month roadmap
- Collaborate with internal partners to leverage APIs that power our best-in-class user experiences
- Participate in daily stand-ups, weekly 1:1's, and biweekly retros
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of professional/production experience developing web applications
- Sustained track record of creating improvements in business-critical systems around stability, performance, and scalability.
- Demonstrate ability to deliver full-fledged features from start to finish in a reasonable time frame.
- Ability to explain technical challenges to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Mastery of Vue.js with professional/production experience - *Please note that part of the interview process includes completing a code challenge in Vue.
- Keep up with major frontend & UX design trends & their implementations
- Understanding of RESTful & GraphQL API integrations
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with Unit Testing
Nice To Haves
- Experience with Nuxt and Tailwind
- A keen eye for visual design and UX
- Familiarity with Sketch or Figma
- Backend/Core: Go & Postgresql
- Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS, Webpack, Nuxt &, Tailwind
- Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O, & Python
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud, specifically Cloud Run, Cloud Build, and CloudSQL, managed with Terraform. We use GitHub for code hosting and CircleCI for running our CI/CD pipelines.
- Remote work tools: Slack, Zoom, Gather.Town, Donut
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.