Openly is one of the fastest-growing Insurtechs in the country, building a next-generation insurance company from the ground up. We’ve launched our homeowner’s product with great success in five states and are looking to expand into twenty-five states by the end of 2021. We’re paying close attention to the way customers want insurance to work and questioning the way things have been done in this industry for over a hundred years - everything from how insurance is quoted and sold, to the frustrating back-end operations that waste money. Insurance is filled with interesting engineering problems that need a fresh perspective. You can watch our TechStars 2018 Demo Day video to learn more about what we’ve built.
This isn’t something we’ve undertaken on a whim - the founding team brings executive-level experience from Liberty Mutual Insurance and Goldman Sachs, with mastery in actuarial science, computer engineering, math, and finance (MIT, Duke, and the University of Michigan). The rest of the team are key early hires who are experts in their respective fields of statistics, actuarial science, and engineering.
We're backed by a select group of deeply knowledgeable and dedicated investors. Our seed round was led by Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund) and Obvious Ventures, a socially-minded top-tier VC behind companies like Beyond Meat and Medium, led our recent Series A.
Openly is hiring an Engineering Manager whose priority will be driving their team’s people and projects forward. This position reports to the VP of Engineering and is also expected to help evolve our engineering leadership practices.
- Manage, support, and mentor a diverse group of engineers.
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and not just yourself.
- Remove roadblocks for your team and escalate when you need additional context or direction.
- Drive your team towards their career goals, identifying milestones, and setting them up for success along the way.
- Promote a culture of feedback and transparent communication.
- Partner closely with leadership, HR, and Recruiting to attract, recruit, and develop a diversity of high-quality engineers.
- Partner with product management to find technical solutions to business goals, and coordinate projects with stakeholders across the company.
- Identify and provide visibility into trade-offs between options, while strongly influencing the recommended approach.
- Drive project scheduling and be responsible for the allocation of project resources.
- Manage the life cycle of engineering projects that your team is working on – from requirements and implementation through testing, deployment, and any necessary follow-up.
- Escalate and work to resolve issues that serve as roadblocks and/or place objectives at risk.
- Design feedback loops to incorporate members’ feedback into continuous improvement activities.
- Experience leading a group of diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements.
- A successful engineering manager will communicate to build trust, take active roles in shaping the future of Openly’s engineering while embodying our core values.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 5+ years of engineering experience and 3+ years of management
- Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to maximize our resources
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Passion for making progress in D&I
- Experience or familiarity with Agile
- Analytical and possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically.
- Competitive salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits packages include medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, 401(k) contribution, flexible spending accounts, and work from home stipend
- Generous and fully company-paid parental leave policy
- “Work-from-anywhere” company that has fully embraced remote working, even before COVID restrictions
- Flexible PTO
- Fun, high energy startup environment
- Training, coaching, and development with an eye towards upward growth and mobility within roles at a new, growing insurtech firm
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristics protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly, will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.