Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars.
We’re hiring a Data Engineer II to be a part of our data engineering team to build and enhance the data solutions for Openly's insurance platform. You will play a key role in how we manage, structure, store, and access the data that enables our insurance products and customer experiences.
- Design, create, and maintain data pipelines
- Work with data users, data science, and business teams, to create data solutions to be used in various projects
- Write code to enhance our data management framework and services to make business and data processes easier, faster, and safer.
- Collaborate with our product, operations, and technology teams to develop and deploy new solutions related to data architecture and data pipelines to enable a best-in-class product for our data users
- Contribute to architectural and operational decisions, deployment techniques, technologies, policies, processes, etc.
- Participate in daily stand-ups, weekly 1:1's, and biweekly retros
- Assist in educating others on different aspects of data (e.g. data management best practices, data pipelining best practices)
- Share your knowledge with others in the company (e.g. tech talks, knowledge shares within the data engineering team)
- Backend/Core: Go & Postgresql
- Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS, Webpack, Nuxt &, Tailwind
- Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O, & Python
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud, specifically Cloud Composer, Cloud Run, Cloud Build, BigQuery and CloudSQL Postgres, managed with Terraform. We use GitHub for code hosting and CircleCI for running our CI/CD pipelines.
- Remote work tools: Slack, Zoom, Gather.Town, Donut
- 1 to 2 years of data engineering and data management experience
- Scripting skills in one or more of the following: Python
- Experience with Google Cloud data store and data orchestration technologies
- Hands on experience and understanding of the entire data pipeline: Data replication tools, Databases, Big Data Platforms, cloud based data platforms, and service based data orchestration.
- Understanding of and data support for data visualization tools, such as Google Cloud Data Studio and Looker.
- Understanding of modern next generation data warehouse platform, such as the Lakehouse.
- Proficiency with SQL optimization and development.
- Ability to understand data architecture and modeling as it relates to business goals and objectives
- Ability to gain an understanding of data requirements and translate them into a working solution.
- Experience with terraform but not required
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above, but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere in the US” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.