Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up, re-imagining, and improving every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of amazing, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets--spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
And now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why:
- It’s working. We’re now in six states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well backed & stable. We just closed our $40 M Series B fundraise and have years of cash runway in the bank. We’re backed by some of the top investors in the world--including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars. It’s outdated (before the initial product launch!) but still telegraphs the journey we’re on.
About the Position:
Openly is looking for a Head of Claims that will design, implement, and lead Openly’s claims operations that will change how agents and policyholders think about the traditional claims experience. Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer, this senior leadership role will be responsible for optimizing the claims handling process through vendor integrations, technology enhancements, and creating a best-in-class internal desk adjustment team. This role will be responsible for leading all aspects of the claims lifecycle; from FNOL to settlement and payment as well as monthly internal and external results reporting.
More details on the role:
- Design, hire, coach, and lead the internal Claims team for Openly.
- Set an operational strategy and vision for the Openly Claims organization.
- Manage claim outcomes to ensure operational metric targets are achieved. These include, but are not limited to, loss dollars, loss adjustment expenses, claim average cycle time, customer experience, and compliance.
- Lead the implementation of Openly’s new claims management system. This will include partnering with external vendors and internal technology team members.
- Create and implement business rules that route claims to the optimal function. These business rules will balance the speed, efficiency, and customer experience.
- Ensure TPA service level agreement terms are met and maintained.
- Partner with the Data Strategy team to design crucial operational metrics and reporting that are automated, provide transparency, and drive quantitative decision making.
- Represent Openly in claims trade events and groups.
- Maintain a robust understanding of key industry trends, regulatory changes, and technology developments.
Core Requirements for this Role:
- 8+ years in property & casualty insurance claims roles with increasing responsibility and leadership.
- 4+ years of claims leadership experience with a proven track record of achieving strong operational results.
- A proven track record of designing, staffing, and leading highly successful claims teams.
- A passion for leadership, coaching, and developing talent
- Track record of strategic planning and budgeting
- Excellent people, project management skills, and the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people at all levels across the company
- Property/Homeowners insurance experience is a significant plus
- Strong analytical & problem-solving skills
- Extremely comfortable operating with ambiguity and addressing complex business questions
- Results-oriented and has strong decision-making skills
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Generous benefits packages including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) company contributions, flexible spending accounts, and monthly remote stipends
- Fun, high-energy startup environment, remote workforce even before COVID restrictions
- Flexible PTO
- Training, coaching, and development with an eye towards upward growth and mobility within roles at a new, growing insurtech firm
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity, expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristics protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.