Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here's why
- It's working. We're in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We're well backed & stable. We closed our $40M Series B fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google's "Gradient" AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It's not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we're still early enough in the journey that there's time to make a real difference during Openly's formative period.
If you'd like to understand more about Openly's mission, consider checking out this video from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars.
We're hiring a Staff Go Engineer to be a part of our technology team to build the backend for Openly's insurance platform. You will play a critical role in designing, building, testing, and maintaining the Go services and the overall technology ecosystem that power our insurance platform and customer experiences.
- Spend a lot of time hands-on with the code
- Guide technical initiatives from inception to delivery
- Proactively identify challenges, opportunities, and solutions with your team
- Consistently reduce complexity and simplify technical design across the codebase
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to create APIs that power our best in class user experiences
- Integrate with external services to manage payments, documents, and claims
- Integrate with data providers to source real-time information on hundreds of data points, including property characteristics and risk profiles
- Build out our API's so third-party resellers can purchase insurance from us programmatically
- Lead the department by developing and delivering a strong technical and architectural vision
- Nurture relationships across the organization to identify and improve internal processes
- Build out our internal tooling and APIs to make business and engineering processes easier, faster, and safer
- Participate in strategic planning meetings, helping to refine the department's 12-month roadmap
- Provide subject matter expertise, mentorship, and support to individuals and teams across the department
- Suggest and implement systemic changes to align existing systems with current architectural goals
- Participate in daily stand-ups, weekly 1:1's and biweekly retros
- Backend/Core: Go & Postgresql
- Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS, Webpack, Nuxt, & Tailwind
- Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O & Python
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud, specifically GKE, Cloud Run, Cloud Build, and CloudSQL. We use GitLab for both code hosting and running CI/CD pipelines.
- Remote work tools: Slack, Zoom, Gather.Town, Donut
- 8+ years of professional/production experience developing back-end web-stack applications
- Sustained track record of creating improvements in business-critical systems around stability, performance, and scalability
- Demonstrated ability to deliver complete systems from start to finish in a reasonable time frame
- Strong interpersonal skills, such as an ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a startup company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the "work-from-anywhere" "mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.